American Bar Association
Community Guidelines and Code of Conduct
- Be kind and professional. Differences of opinions can make for educational and informative discussions. We know there can be some “hot-button” issues in our profession and certainly do not want to avoid them. All we ask is that your conversations be productive and do not attack the individual who posted the statement. This includes not posting:
- Material which defames, abuses, or threatens others
- Statements which are bigoted, hateful, or racially offensive
- Material that advocates illegal activity or discusses illegal activities with the intent to commit them
- Material that contains vulgar, obscene, or indecent language or images
- Unauthorized posting of personal information (names, addresses, telephone numbers, emails, etc.) of other users
- Opinions of fictitious or third parties
- Keep private information private. As everyone knows, we are privy to a lot of private information in this field. Maintain the same guideline for confidential information here, just as you would in your daily practice.
- Be honest, be yourself. The community is intended to be used for the helpful exchange of information among ABA Connect Community Members. False, inaccurate, or otherwise misleading information is not allowed. Please be sincere in your community participation by only contributing content you know is accurate.
- Keep marketing efforts separate. Help us keep this community a learning tool. Do not post any commercial messages in the community discussions, libraries, or to an individual’s inbox. If you have a product or service you would like to promote to ABA members, please visit https://www.americanbar.org/about_the_aba/advertising/ for details about our advertising and sponsorship opportunities.
- Submit only your own, original content. Help us maintain the community's integrity and observe the intellectual property rights of others by only submitting content you have personally written or else used with permission and properly attributed. The community should not be used to distribute unauthorized copies of any copyrighted material.
- Help look after your community. ABA Connect is available for the benefit and enjoyment of ABA Connect Community Members like you. If you notice content within the community that does not abide by these Community Guidelines and Code of Conduct, please report it to our Community Manager at ABACommunityManager@americanbar.org. To that end, if any of your content is deemed inappropriate or in violation of these Community Guidelines and Code of Conduct, the ABA retains the right to block, remove, edit, or reject postings or suspend access as we deem appropriate. Posts or other material which are deemed inappropriate by the site administrators or appropriate community managers may be deleted upon discovery. Users who violate these Community Guidelines and Code of Conduct may lose their accounts permanently.
- Share your thoughts with us…using the appropriate medium. We are continually looking for ways to improve our service to you and welcome all feedback you may have — positive or negative. While we always want to encourage engagement within ABA Connect, we ask that you refrain from posting about community rules, moderation, or other administrative related topics in the open forums. We welcome your thoughts and ask that you email us directly at ABACommunityManager@americanbar.org.
This site is provided as a service for the members and customers of the American Bar Association (“ABA”). The ABA is not responsible for the opinions and information posted on this site by others. The ABA disclaims all warranties with regard to information posted on this site, whether posted by the ABA or any third party; this disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular use. In no event shall the ABA be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages, or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data, or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted on this site.
These Community Guidelines and Code of Conduct are subject to amendment or modification at any time by the ABA. Your use of ABA Connect indicates your acceptance of any such modifications.