Beata Krakus, Partner, Greensfelder, LLP, Chicago, IL
In her franchise law practice, Beata Krakus works with clients across the U.S. and around the globe. Beata has prepared franchise programs for concepts including real estate brokerages, hotels, restaurants and fitness and personal health systems, to name a few. Her work includes:
- U.S.-wide registrations of franchise programs.
- Advising on exemption-based franchising, avoiding certain franchise and business opportunity regulations.
- Advising on implementation of marketing funds and national advertising programs.
- Advising on pre-litigation disputes with franchisees and master franchisees.
- Negotiating area development agreements with large franchisees and area developers.
- Serving as mergers and acquisitions special counsel on franchise law matters.
- Assisting with international deals.
Beata’s practice also encompasses other distribution models, and she assists clients in managing their distribution networks. These can consist of distributors/dealers, sales representatives or a combination of the two. She works with clients on ensuring form contracts are up to par and navigating equipment dealer laws, as well as assisting on terminations and renewals.
The legal rankings firm Chambers & Partners has repeatedly recognized Beata among the top franchise lawyers both globally and in the United States, noting her ability to combine legal and commercial aspects to determine the best solutions for clients. Her relationships with foreign companies and attorneys have helped her build a referral network of trusted counsel. The myriad aspects of international deals can make them difficult to navigate, but Beata’s experience as an attorney in three countries — the U.S., Sweden and Poland — gives her a deeper understanding of differences in law and culture.
Before joining Greensfelder, Beata practiced franchise law at another large Chicago firm and interned for the Honorable Ann Claire Williams of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit. In Europe, she practiced in Warsaw with the Swedish law firm of Magnusson Wahlin, assisting foreign businesses with their activities in Poland.
- American Bar Association Forum on Franchising, Governing Committee
- The Franchise Lawyer, former associate editor
- International Franchise Association
- Swedish-American Chambers of Commerce, National Organization, Board of Directors; Chicago Chapter, Board of Directors